15 Jan OUTBACK QLD RAIL-ROAD-RIDE 2023
AN EPIC ROAD BIKE RIDE IN 4 STAGES BETWEEN OUTBACK RAIL-HEADS!
A road ride in four stages on Queensland’s growing outback network of sealed roads.
Each stage begins or ends at outback rail-heads and with the event we want to also show the potential for outback road-cycling to match with NSW and QR’s long-distance outback trains.
- Overnight camps will be in towns, beside remote pubs and at rest areas.
- Distances will vary from 64 to 230 km. Longest days are 209 and 230 km.
- Stages 1 and 3 are tougher averaging 150 and 170 km per riding day.
- Stages 2 and 4 are milder averaging 110 and 125 km per riding day.
- There are a good number of rest days at key points.
- Come for one, two or three stages or come for all!
STAGES & COSTS
‘Dig Tree Dash’ 1600 km, 11 ride-days, $2400, start 27 April 2023:
Ride Moree NSW – Boomi NSW – Nindigully Pub – Bollon (rest day) – Cunnamulla – Eulo – Thargomindah – Noccundra Pub – Coopers Creek / Dig Tree (bus transfer back to Noccundra & rest day) – Eromanga – Quilpie – Charleville.
Moree is serviced by train daily from Sydney. Our bus will run there on 21 April from convenient points in S.E. Qld.
Charleville is serviced by the QR Westlander twice-weekly and by Bus Queensland twice-daily to/from Brisbane. Flights to/from Brisbane.
‘Qantas 101’ 535 km, 5 ride-days, $1000, start 11 May 2023:
Ride in successive days Charleville – Augathella – Tambo – Blackall – Isisford – Longreach. Rate includes camping overnights prior in Charleville and x 2 in Longreach.
QR’s Spirit of the Outback departs Longreach twice-weekly for Rockhampton and Brisbane. Also daily Bus Qld services towards Brisbane, Rockhampton or Mt.Isa. Flights to/from Brisbane.
‘Min Min Lights’ 840 km, 5 ride-days, $1200, Start 19 May 2023:
Ride some big days Longreach – Winton (rest day) – Middleton Pub – Boulia (rest day) – Dajarra – Mt Isa.
QR’s Inlander departs Mt.Isa twice-weekly for Townsville. Also daily Bus Qld services towards Brisbane or Townsville. Flights to/from Brisbane.
‘Gulf Country’ 870 km, 7 ride days, $2000, start 28 May 2023:
Riding Mt Isa – Cloncurry – Terry Smith Rest Area – Burke & Wills Roadhouse (drive to Lawn Hill Gorge for 2 rest days) – Bang Bang Rest Area – Normanton – Karumba (2 rest days & bus transfer back to Normanton) – Croydon – Georgetown then on our bus to Forsayth. The ride is scheduled to coincide with rail services. Instead of cycling, participants can choose to ride QR Inlander from Mt. Isa to Cloncurry and/or Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon. Taking both trains cuts the cycling distance to 600km.
At the end of the event participants can choose either the Savannahlander train (or our bus) to travel from Forsayth to Cairns.
Pricing includes support vehicle/s, luggage carried, camping including pre & post nights, all breakfasts, morning teas and lunches on ride days and dinners at remote camps.
Companions can join the event and travel on our bus at a half rate and assist on light duties – a great value holiday with the chance to ride lots of trains too!
- Travel to and from the event. We will offer Forsayth to Cairns for $150 (if not taking the Savannahlander) and possibly a transfer from SE Qld to Moree (there is also a scheduled bus 3 x a week).
- Evening meals can be had at pubs, cafes, roadhouses etc (on remote nights we include the catering)
- Upgrades to cabin or pub accommodation is fine with us (if organised by you, either ahead or on the event)
- Train options – example if you catch the Gulflander instead of riding your bike 150 km!
- Local sightseeing with other operators
OUTBIKE (est. 2004) and Arcadia Travel (est. 2019) are co-owned.
A more detailed programme is available on request.
Booking inquiries: email@example.com or fill the form below