15 Jan Outback Queensland Rail-Road-Ride 2021
AN EPIC ROAD BIKE RIDE IN 4 STAGES BETWEEN OUTBACK RAIL-HEADS!
OUTBIKE’s next epic will be a road ride in four stages on Queensland’s growing outback network of sealed roads.
Each stage begins or ends at outback rail-heads and with the event we want to demonstrate the potential for outback road-cycling to match with NSW and QR’s long-distance outback trains.
- Overnight camps will be in towns, beside remote pubs and at rest areas.
- Distances will vary from 64 to 230 km. Longest days are 209 and 230 km.
- Stages 1 and 3 are tougher averaging 150 and 170 km per riding day.
- Stages 2 and 4 are milder averaging 110 and km per riding day.
- There are a good number of rest days at key points.
- Come for one, two or three stages or come for all!
STAGES & COSTS
‘Dig Tree Dash’ 1600 km 22 April to 4 May $2450: Moree – Boomi – Nindigully Pub – Bollon – Cunnamulla – Eulo – Thargomindah – Noccundra Pub – Coopers Creek / Dig Tree – Eromangah – Quilpie – Charleville. Moree is serviced by train daily from Sydney. Charleville is serviced by the QR Westlander twice-weekly and daily by Bus Queensland.
‘Qantas 101’ 535 km 6 to 10 May $1150: Charleville – Augathella – Tambo – Blackall – Isisford – Longreach. QR’s Spirit of the Outback departs Longreach twice-weekly for Rockhampton and Brisbane. Also daily Bus Qld services towards Brisbane, Rockhampton or Mt.Isa.
‘Min Min Lights’ 840 km 14 to 20 May $1300: Longreach – Winton – Boulia – Dajarra – Mt Isa. QR’s Inlander departs Mt.Isa twice-weekly for Townsville. Also daily Bus Qld services towards Brisbane or Townsville.
‘Gulf Country’ 870 km 23 May to 3 Jun $1800: Mt Isa – Cloncurry – Burke & Wills Roadhouse / drive to Lawn Hill Gorge for 2 nights – Normanton – Karumba – Croydon – Georgetown/Forsayth. The ride is scheduled to coincide with rail services. Instead of cycling, participants can choose to ride QR Inlander from Mt. Isa to Cloncurry and/or Gulflander from Normanton to Croydon. Taking both trains cuts the cycling distance to 600km. At the end of the event participants can choose either the Savannahlander train or our bus to travel from Forsayth to Cairns.
Savings are available for combining stages – check with us.
Oh yes, companions can join the event and travel on our bus at a half rate and assist on light duties – a great value holiday with the chance to ride lots of trains too!
- rest day/nights before and after ride stages
- all nights camping and breakfasts
- morning tea and self-pack lunches for ride days
- luggage transfers
- ride support
- Evening meals can be had at pubs, cafes, roadhouses etc (on remote nights we will collect $20 per person for our catering)
- Upgrades to cabin or pub accommodation is fine with us (if organised by you, either ahead or on the event)
- Train options – say if you catch the Gulflander instead of riding your bike 150 km!
- Local sightseeing with other operators
- Our bus+bike transfers: SE Qld to Moree $150 and/or Forsayth to Cairns $150
We can also book air, rail and accommodation to and from the ride.
OUTBIKE (est. 2004) and Arcadia Travel are co-owned.
A full programme is available on request.
Expressions of interest are open.
To express interest or inquire please contact Ralph on 0406440418, email email@example.com, or message via form below.