SELF-GUIDED COAST WALKS
6 days Noosa to Sydney
24-30 Sept 2020
Enjoy walking along NSW’s most iconic coastlines travelling from Noosa to Sydney over 6 days & 5 nights.
It’s mostly beaches – with a handful of headlands.
This trip gives keen walkers the chance to cover over 100 kms of coastline – but there are also easier options on the longer walking days so you can walk as much or as little as you wish.
- Brunswick Heads to Cape Byron and Byron Bay (15 or 20 km over 5 hours)
- Solitary Islands Coast Walk (Red Rock to Sawtell up to 60 km over 3 days)
- SW Rocks to Trial Bay Gaol and return (10 km)
- Port Macquarie Coastal Walk (9 km)
- Newcastle’s Bathers Way (6 km)
- We provide the mini-coach and driver to transfer participants between walks and carry your luggage while you walk.
- We will set rendezvous points for walkers to meet with our bus and driver along the walks.
- From 4 to 20 participants.
- The walking is self-guided along sections of coast that are clear to follow. There is no accompanying walking guide.
- Most of the walking will be ‘documented’ coast walks and we will provide the links and have information printed for these.
- If on any day weather conditions are adverse for walking we will substitute other touring and activities.
- We have checked tide times and will try and maximise the walking to avoid high tides.
- Accommodation is included in hotels, motels and apartments.
- Meals are not included.
Coach and Driver-Guide
Our Bandicoot mini-coach is a Mitsubishi Rosa fitted with reclining coach seats and giving extra legroom.
An enclosed trailer securely carries the luggage.
Our driver is an experienced tour driver-guide and adventure leader.
5 nights accommodation between Noosa and Sydney is included.
Hotels/motels/apartments are 3.5 to 4 star (Woolgoolga is 3 star):
- Ballina – Quality Hotel Ballina Beach Resort – www.qualityhotelballina.com.au/
- Woolgoolga – Beach Motel – www.beachmotelwoolgoolga.com.au
- Coffs Harbour – Pacific Marina Apartments (using 2-3 bedroom apartments) – https://pacificmarina.com.au
- Port Macquarie Town Beach Motor Inn – www.townbeachmotorinn.com
- Newcastle – Travelodge – www.travelodge.com.au/hotel/newcastle
Accommodation and any flights are your choice. Our agency Arcadia Travel can assist.
Coast Walks 6 days Noosa to Sydney Itinerary
- Day 1: Join us at Noosa Junction at 0700 – or from Robina Station at 1030 (if you’re coming from Brisbane and Gold Coast). Travel to Brunswick Heads for lunch and the start of the
first walk at 1200 – straight along the beach 15 km to Byron Bay and a 5 km extension on to Cape Byron Lighthouse and back to Byron Bay.
Total distance is either 15 or 20 km. Along the way we can meet up at Tyagarah Nature Reserve (parking, bathroom) at 8 km. The easier option is to walk just the 8 km from Tyagarah to Byron Bay.
We drive on to Ballina to stay the night.
- Day 2: Depart at 0800 for a 2.5 hour drive to Red Rock, the northern trailhead of the Solitary Islands Coast Walk. Our first beach stretches 10 km to Arrawarra Headland. Facilities are at Corindi 6 km (road access, bathrooms, general store). Cut across Arrawarra Headland or take the track out to the point (extra 600m). Within the next 3 km there are 3 more headlands (Ocean View, Mullaway and Darkum Rocks) then 5 km along Safety Beach to the town of Woolgoolga, well known for its Sikh community. We suggest Indian tonight. The easier option is Arrawarra to Woolgoolga 8 kms.
- Day 3: Start by 0730 for a long day of near 30 km to Coffs Harbour. From Woolgoolga Headland, it is 5 km to Sandy Beach (café, bathrooms) all along the sand, passing two rocky outcrops.
Another 3 km and a climb over Bare Bluff and another headland is Emerald Beach village with café and bathrooms. Then a 6 km section over Look at Me Headland and along the beach to Moonee Beach (bathrooms). Next stage is 7 km along Sapphire Beach to Hills Beach climbing over Green Bluff and White Bluff. There are several places with access to cafes and bathrooms. Final leg is 8 km passing Charlesworth Bay, Diggers Head and Macauley Headland then along Park Beach to Coffs Harbour Marina. Just walking the final leg is the easier option today.
- Day 4: Start at 0800. From Coffs Jetty, past the Southern Breakwall and along the beach to Boambee Headland is 8 km. The rail bridge over Boambee Creek has a footbridge attached. We will meet at the first parking on the headland drive, 100 m from the rail bridge. Drive just over an hour to South West Rocks where we’ll park up and walk to Trial Bay Lighthouse and back via Monument Hill Track and Little Bay, about 12 km. For an easier day, just choose one of the walks. Another drive of one hour takes us in to Port Macquarie.
- Day 5: Start at 0800. The Port Macquarie Coastal Walk is a popular trail, taking in 7 beaches in 9km. It’s about 90 mins drive on to Forster for a lunch break (and possibly some more walking). Another 2 hours drive brings us to Newcastle. Stroll the city centre on a Sunday night.
- Day 6: Easy start at 0900. Walk Bathers Way from Nobbys to Merewether Beach (Ocean Baths), it’s 6 km. If we have the time and energy, the Yuelenbah Trail adds another 7km of coast and forest. For the final drive, we’ll go along the Central Coast and stop for lunch in The Entrance.
Costs and inclusions:
- $990 twin/double or $1340 single
- travel from Noosa to Sydney over 6 days as described
- rendezvous at set points during the walks with water, tea & coffee
- all 5 nights in 3-4 star accommodations
- admissions and other optional activities
- Deposit $99, balance 30 days before departure
- 10% fee if cancelled 30-60 days prior
- 50% fee if cancelled in last 30 days
- No card fees apply
Departure Noosa 0700 on 25 Sept 2019 / 24 Sept 2020 (can join at Robina Station for Brisbane and Gold Coast)
Arrival Sydney central 1800 on 30 Sept 2019 / 29 Sept 2020
From Arcadia Travel 5 Arcadia Walk Noosa Junction
Further pick-ups by arrangement: Nambour Station, Robina Station, Gold Coast Airport or Brunswick Heads PO.