28 Jun WAYWARD BUS – MELBOURNE TO ADELAIDE ‘CLASSIC COAST’
Take a ‘Wayward Bus’ road-trip exploring the awesome coast route from Melbourne to Adelaide over 6 days.
It’s much more than the Great Ocean Road.
The trip is the 3rd leg of a ‘slow-tours’ series, proposed to run in a 30-day circuit monthly: Noosa – Sydney – Adelaide – Noosa.
We’re planning to run the 6 day Noosa to Sydney leg as trial in July 2021, then take a break before a further trial in Oct 2021, when we intend to run all 4 legs right around the circuit. A regular service is planned to run from Feb 2022.
🚌 NEXT DATES: 15-20th Oct 2021.
More tours from Feb 2022.
COST: $480 per person
- YHA/pub accommodation – with a choice of single/double/twin private rooms (approx $90 per room night) – or beds in share rooms (approx $30-40 p.p. per night average). We can arrange the bookings.
- Motel and boutique accommodation can be booked through Arcadia Travel, prices may vary according to seasonality and demand.
- Any activities and entry fees.
- Meals are not included – bakeries, cafes, supermarkets, pubs and restaurants are plentiful along the way and the YHAs have guest kitchens and dining/lounge areas.
Sights and visits
- Corio Bay, Geelong Foreshore and Aboriginal Cultural Centre
- Great Ocean Road: Torquay, Lorne, Apollo Bay, Otway Ranges, 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge, London Bridge and Bay of Islands
- Warrnambool, Port Fairy and Tower Hill Wildlife
- Budj Bim First Nations World Heritage site
- Portland, Bridgewater Bay and Cape Bridgewater
- Nelson, Glenelg River, Port Mac Donnell, Cape Northumberland and Feast’s Car Museum
- Mount Gambier’s Mount Schank, Blue Lake and Umpherstone Cave
- Tantanoola Caves
- Limestone Coast: Beachport, Robe and Kingston
- Coorong Wilderness, Meningie and Lake Albert
- Murray River ferry crossing, Lake Alexandrina, Port of Goolwa, Port Elliot, Victor Harbor and Granite Island
- Fleurieu Peninsula and McLarenvale Vineyards
- We provide travel in a touring mini-coach with driver-guide.
- From 4 to 20 participants.
- Visits to attractions and museums are optional, some are free, others are modest entry fees.
- If on any day weather conditions are adverse we may substitute other touring and activities.
Coach and Driver-Guide
- Our ‘Bandicoot’ mini-coach is a Mitsubishi Rosa refitted with reclining coach seats and extra legroom for extended touring.
- An enclosed trailer securely carries the luggage.
- Our driver is an experienced tour driver-guide and adventure leader.
Overnights x 5 (all accommodations named below we can drop-off and pick-up from):
- 1 night Apollo Bay – YHA or the Great Ocean Road Brewhouse/Hotel for budget. For motel, Comfort Inn, Best Western, Beachfront, Apollo Apts, Waterfront and Lighthouse Keepers.
- 1 night Port Fairy – YHA for budget, Caledonian Inn for modest-priced motel rooms, then the cute 1840’s Merrijig Kitchen and 4-star Seacombe House Motel. More exclusive boutique hotels include Oscar’s and Douglas.
- 1 night Mount Gambier City Centre – between Federal Hotel, Macs Hotel, Mt Gambier Hotel and Jens Hotel, there are budget pub rooms and fancier ensuite rooms aplenty. For grandeur, we suggest the Jens or nearby historic Colhurst House BnB. No need to think about regular motels this night.
- 1 night Robe – Caledonian Hotel pub rooms or shared campground cabins for budget. Guichen Bay Motel (choice of several more). For luxury, we suggest Robe Marina Apartments.
- 1 night Port Elliot / Victor Harbor – budget choices are the YHA and Royal Family Hotel. For 4-star, we offer the resort-style McCracken Country Club (5km away). We can also offer to overnight 7km away in Victor Harbor where The Anchorage Hotel is the heritage choice.
Joining in Melbourne or Geelong
- Melbourne 0800: Courtney Street beside Bedford Street Reserve, close to the junction of Queensberry and Peel Streets. This is one block north of Victoria Markets and convenient to Melbourne Metro YHA, City Edge Apartments North Melbourne and trams along Peel Street.
- Geelong 0915: Geelong City Railway Station, city side, bus bays
Drop off point:
- Franklin Street beside Central Bus Station, close to Adelaide City YHA, taxis and 5 minutes walk to Victoria Square.
Bookings by email or phone to Arcadia Travel: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Booking arrangements for departures up to 31 Dec 2021:
- To give time to arrange accommodations, bookings can be held for up to 7 days except that in the 14 days prior to departure a shorter amount of time will be apply
- Deposit of $100 is required when confirming a booking (non-refundable)
- Full payment due 14 days before start (then 50% refundable if customer cancels)
- Advise your accommodation preference at time of booking and we will arrange or assist with contacts
- If a trip is cancelled due to reasons beyond our control (such as Covid19 border closures), any payments made will be refunded in full.
Shorter trips are possible to book:
- Apollo Bay to Adelaide 5 days $420
For other start/end possibilities, just ask for a rate.
Bandicoot provides the hi-spec’d mini-coaches for Wayward Bus road trips
Any questions please fill the the form below.